Saturday, January 7, 2012

Review - Cool Mini or Not 10$ Painting Guide

Yesterday I purchased the digital copy of the Cool Mini or Not Ultimate Miniature painting guide for a solid 9.99, and I must say Im pleased with the purchase. So, to begin, I consider myself a high end table top painter, perhaps a 8.5 out of 10 for high end table top painting (where as Ive always classified skill as basic, table top, high end table top, and pro (golden daemon)). So, take this review with that perspective in mind.



Coming in at 400 pages, this guide contains a lot of tutorials from painting, model preparation, molding/sculpting, and model photography. Lets focus on just the painting tutorials however. While I did not find every tutorial useful, I would say a majority of the tutorials were solid. Ive never gotten into non-metalic metalic painting before, and this guide has a great how to on that. If I hadnt already developed my own method of painting flesh or rust, there are tutorials on that which I would have adopted as my own as well... In comparison to the Imperial Armour masterclass book, this book is actually more useful to painting armies as a whole, since its primary focus is on infantry rather than armor.

At $10, one cant go wrong with this painting guide. I would recommend it for anyone who has a painting skill equivalent or less to mine. If your an even stronger painter than me, well your going to be limited in what you take away from this, but I figured you suspected that anyways. I wish I would have had this guide when I first began painting, as it would have saved a lot of frustration. This would have taken a year off trial and error painting in my experience (I just finished up year 3 of model painting).