Saturday, April 14, 2012

Review: Lone Wolf Graphic Novel



Well folks, while its been a little while since Ive posted, I have continued to make progress on the Deathwing. Hopefully this time next week ill be well on my way to having a second Deathwing squad completed. I also got in a 1500 point game today with the wolves against some traitorous IG. The wolves won in decisive fashion in a kill point game, as the guard armor line simply had no answer for the pack of grey hunters rolling around in the land raider (2x Melta, Multi Metla, Combi melta between them did the job) all the while the long fangs hit hard from the back lines...Until more news on the Deathwing next time however, I figured I would pass along a quick review of Black Library's Lone Wolf Graphic Novel.

Written by Dan Abnett and Karl Richardson, Lone Wolf follow the story of a squad of Imperial Guardsmen as they try an survive on an Ice planet thru a Bug Invasion... They think their salvation comes in the form of the mighty Space Wolves, but more is to come.

While I am blown away by some of the artwork in the novel, which alone may be worth the price of admission, I was a little disappointed with the writing. This comes as a major suprise given it did have the all mighty Abnett involved (arguably the BLs best writer). Now with that said, this is a re-release, so the authors have likely improved their skills since this was originally published.

I do believe there is some value in the book, as again, the artwork it superb (I mean, simply look at the cover art above). However, we've been spoiled with the latest slew or Horus Heresy novels and unfortunately, this novel is a casualty of that series success. I do suggest picking this up still, just not at full retail price of BLs site. Perhaps try and find a used copy or 9.99 or so.